Feed The Beast Wiki:Bot operators' noticeboard/Archive/2016-2018
Bot tag request
Requested groups: Bot, Staff, Editor
Bot for: General editing tasks, Advanced Wiki Crawling to search pages to translate (with more search options than the translator portal), Mass editing tasks, Mass phrase translation tasks (For example Bugs Fixed in Changelogs
- Moritz30 (talk) 10:31, 9 July 2016 (UTC)Moritz30
- crafling? :o -Xbony2 (talk) 11:19, 9 July 2016 (UTC)
- Some things that need clearing up since the justifications are a little strange...
- General editing -> Is for your normal account, using a bot just unnecessarily hides the edits
- Crawling for pages to translate -> Isn't necessary as there's a list already
- Mass editing -> Editing what?
- Mass translating -> Typically isn't done with a bot either. Importing translations is, but since I don't deal with that you'd have to ask Xbony2 about that.
- Chocohead Nag• Edits• Staff 21:37, 10 July 2016 (UTC)
- With general editing a mean automated changing of changelogs (of my mods and other mods where the mod author allows that) and such things.
- crawling pages: The bot will have more filter methods like only from mod x/mod author y
- mass editing: actually nothing is planned, but if someone requests a bot to do mass editing it will be able to do that
- mass translating is an half automated task. The bot can automatically downöoad offline translation files and translate common tags like added features for changelogs. The file is given to me and I translate the rest and import it again. - Moritz30 (talk) 11:15, 11 July 2016 (UTC)Moritz30
- Just so you know, using the API to search through pages, you can already do that without the bot group. As for updating changelogs, while I am okay with doing it automated, I'd prefer those edits not be done by a bot account. 🐇Retep998🐇🐰Bunny Overlord🐰 14:41, 11 July 2016 (UTC)
- Please consider this request as closed. I'll create a new one when needed. -Moritz30German translator 17:09, 13 July 2016 (UTC)
The method for setting up an account to use a bot or other external editors using the API interface has been updated as of 1 March 2017. Logging in to third-party tools now makes use of a password generator to create a new login for automated tools, accessible at Special:BotPasswords on any Gamepedia wiki. -- Preceding unsigned comment was added by DSquirrelGM (talk • contribs)